Sunday, July 4, 2010

Because I am Crazy

In the past few months, I've become kind of fascinated with the world of personal style blogs. Something about keeping a log of everything you wear, and what you look like every day, really appeals to the obsessive record-keeping part of my brain. Plus, it's kind of addictive to see how people express themselves through their clothing, and how real people with real bodies and real budgets interpret (and eschew) trends. Keeping all that in mind, I've decided to participate in Kendi's 30 for 30 challenge this year. (If you are at all interested in clothes and styling, I highly recommend you check out Kendi's blog!)

Anyway, here are the rules of the challenge:

1. The first rule of the 30 for 30 challenge is: don't talk about the 30 for 30 challenge.
2. No shopping for 30 days! (I'm going to abstain from buying new clothing, but may still shell out for a new book or two....)
3. Pick 30 items of clothing, and wear 30 outfits made of those items.
4. Shoes count towards your 30 items, but belts, jewelry & other accessories don't.
4. Pajamas, exercise clothing, etc. doesn't count towards your 30 clothing items.

Since the next 30 days of my life includes not one but two trips, this is going to be a challenge. One trip is my family's yearly week in Colorado, which involves a lot of hiking and chilly nights. I'm going to do myself a favor and decide right now that hiking boots, fleeces, grubby jeans, etc. fall under the category of "exercise clothing," but I will try to select only a very few outdoor necessities to add to my 30 items for that trip. Later this evening (after coming home from food and fireworks at my grandmother's house) I will post my catalogue of the items I've chosen.

Also, quickly, I think this kind of challenge is a good idea not just because it will force me to be more inventive when putting outfits together, but also because (I hope) it will make me more appreciative of what I have and more careful about what I buy. My goal is to approach acquisition mindfully (not always an easy task), and maybe putting myself on this kind of clothing "diet" will help. Furthermore, I wore a uniform to school for 12 years of my life and, to be honest, I kind of miss the simplicity of being able to throw on the same skirt, blouse, knee socks, and shoes every morning. If only I was still fifteen.....

No comments: