Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's For Dinner: Green Fried Rice & Baked Tofu!


This was dinner one night last week--"green" fried rice (green because of all the green veggies it includes!) and baked tofu. I love baking tofu in a yummy marinade because it is easy, fast, and really good for you. This meal reheated well for work lunches. Both of these recipes came from the Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers cookbook. As a bonus, this meal was vegan! I'm trying to eat vegan more frequently at home (it doesn't always work... tonight I'm having cheesy baked pasta, oops!).

Green Fried Rice (from Moosewood Simple Suppers):

I've added my own modifications and simplified the directions to reflect the fact that I left out the eggs--I strongly recommend that you check out this cookbook, which is full of awesome, healthy and fast ideas for vegetarian dinners.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. Chinese chili paste (I left it out because I was feeding this to my spicy-food-averse family)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 eggs, beaten (I left the eggs out because I was trying to be vegan, but they would be a good way to add even more protein!)
4 or 5 stalks bok choy, chopped (I used napa cabbage instead because that's what they had at my grocery store)
1 bunch scallions, chopped
4 cups rinsed and drained baby spinach (I used more like 8 cups, since spinach reduces dramatically)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 cups cooked rice (I use brown rice; it's better for you!)
1 tbsp soy sauce

Directions:
In a large wok or skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat, warm the oil, chili paste (if using), salt and garlic. Cook for a few seconds, then add the bok-choy (or cabbage, in my case) and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add the scallions and spinach and stir-fry until the spinach is just wilted. Add the corn and stir-fry for another minute, or until thoroughly hot and defrosted. Stir in the rice. When the rice is hot, mix in the soy sauce. Serve immediately.

Easy Baked Tofu (from Moosewood Simple Suppers)

Ingredients:

1 cake firm tofu
1 tbsp. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp grated peeled ginger root (I used a little dried ginger which was what I had on hand)
1 garlic clove, minced
(I also added a tsp. of brown sugar, and about 2 tsp. of rice vinegar)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400. Cut the tofu into cubes (or slices, triangles... any shape you want!). Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer. Whisk together the marinade ingredients and drizzle over the tofu. Gently turn or toss to coat thoroughly. Bake uncovered, stirring once or twice, until the oil is sizzling and the tofu is firm and chewy, 30 to 40 minutes.

I love eating this way--I wish I was organized enough to do it every night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

had some veggetables to use up so i made this last night! kind of. just stir fried brocco and peas and added rice. but i made the tofu mostly according to yr directions and it was great! i love the texture of baked tofu! tofu revelation!!

Kathryn said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it, Par. I am always happy to help facilitate a tofu revelation!